Search The Hippocampus

Thursday 5 July 2012

Blueberry-Lemon Sauce--So Good You Could Eat It by the Spoonful!

I interrupt this lazy Thursday night to bring you what just might be the most amazing, delectable, mouth-watering blueberry-licious sauce your taste buds will ever be privileged to savour. No joke. It is really that good.

For Fourth of July festivities, I used this sweet fruity sauce to top my  homemade strawberry lemon cake with lemon mousse icing. The cake and the sauce were a huge hit with my family, and I ended up using the leftover blueberry sauce (the little I could keep from devouring) for my special dinner pancakes. I am telling you, you NEED this sauce in your life. Versatile, sweet, perfect consistency; in my opinion it is flawless, and can be used to top cakes, icecream, or even as a filling for your favorite pie.
Come to think of it, this Blueberry-lemon sauce would be perfect for those Lemon Ricotta Pancakes that I posted the recipe for last week!
I used Almond emulsion in my recipe, but I understand that it is difficult to find: next week i'll try it with almond extract and see if it is a viable substitution. But enough talk! Enjoyenjoyenjoy this recipe :)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
2 tablespoons lemon juice
zest of 1 small lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp almond emulsion
pinch of salt       

 Directions:                                                                                                                                                                        
In a small saucepan, add the cornstarch and sugar. Whisk together. Stir in 1 cup of the blueberries, the lemon juice, almond, vanilla and salt. Cook the mixture over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until thickened. Stir in the remaining blueberries and cook for 2 minutes.
Cool and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment